Blood oranges. Blood ORANGES! I have had my heart set on getting myself some Blood Oranges ever since I first saw their beautiful ruby colour on the pages of Foodgawker many months ago. But like most things, I was doubtful I would ever get my hands on any since I live in what many people call the ‘arse end of the universe’ (my dad especially says this) and such exotic things are rare. So you can imagine my excitement when on Monday I was driving past Raw, a local organic food store, and saw BLOOD ORANGES on the blackboard outside the shop! I immediately did a U-turn and bought two kilos.
But now that I had the precious Blood Oranges, I needed a better cooking pot then the tiny one that I had (and remembering my last adventure with jam making, when I had to decant 1/2 into another pot & boil them seperately). I went to a few cooking shops in Hobart city, with not much luck, even the specialty cooking shops didn’t have any! So I went out to North Hobart to a catering shop called Medhurst, which is a great place & I really should have gone their first!! They have pots big enough to get into. I found a great 11 litre Scanpan stainless steel pot, the last one in the shop & on special for $85! It is exactly the same width as the biggest pot I already had, but is actually twice the height which is important when making jam, because when you add the sugar to the mixture it triples in volume. I also treated myself to a new Victorinox knife, since my old favourite failed due to only having a plastic handle.
Now, onto the marmalade!! I was loosely following Elise’s recipe for Seville Orange Marmalade, except I was too lazy to do the whole membranes & seeds pectin thing so I just used some Jamsetta. I didn’t bother measuring the fruit mixture after the first stage of cooking either, I just put in 2kg of sugar!
Another thing I had to change for the sake of my sanity, is the way of separating the skin from the pith. I used the ‘scrape out’ method for 2 halves or so before my hands got so tired I could hardly hold the spoon anymore, so I had to try something else. The peeler wasn’t working on the already-juiced skins, so I decided to try to cut the skin off using my new ultra-sharp knife. It worked very well & I julienned them and everything.
And the result. 8 jars of beautiful ruby red marmalade, ready for my toast tomorrow morning. My few taste tests when checking for setting time were very promising indeed, but I will save the real taste test for tomorrow! For now, I can’t stop looking at the colour: